Home Classified Letters to the Editor Contact Us  
Search    
 
 
 
 
  E-Mail link to this story   Comment on this story  
 
 
 

Charges against Warren dropped

By Joshua Shea

A Portland judge granted a request from the Maine Attorney General's Office that all criminal charges against Kaile Warren be dropped immediately.

'''Justice has been served!'' said a jubilant Warren, minutes after the order was signed by Justice Roland Cole. ''I am very pleased that the Attorney General's office has dropped all criminal charges against me.''

Warren had been facing up to 30 years in jail if convicted on securities fraud in connection with his Rent-A-Husband handyman franchise.

As part of the agreement, Warren will sue his former law firms -- Preti Flaherty and Marcus, Clegg and Mistretta -- along with Ace Hardware, which worked with Rent-A-Husband on a plan to expand the brand nationwide in its stores. If damages are awarded in those cases, almost $2 million will be awarded to Rent-A-Husband's investors who have lost an equivalent amount of money.

While neither guilt or innocence was mentioned in the order, the judgment did show that Warren never intended to sell unregistered securities through a program set up by Preti Flaherty.

''The prosecutor has written that based on certain evidence that the State did not believe it would have been successful in its criminal case against me, thus the prosecutor did the right thing and I commend him for that,'' said Warren, who was indicted in December 2009.

Warren's lawyer, Daniel Lilley, said in a statement on Wednesday that the Rent-A-Husband founder wants to see his former investors paid.

''He has always wanted his investors who believed in and supported his American dream company to be reimbursed for their loses,'' said Lilley

Warren told The Independent that he expects his lawsuits to be filed in the upcoming weeks.

''This evidence showed that alleged violations of Maine's criminal law were not intended but were the product of inappropriate legal advice from his attorneys,'' commented Lilley in the statement.

Warren said the pats on the back and urging to keep his chin up from Windham friends and residents -- many of whom he did not know -- have been appreciated.

''I want to thank all of you who have shown unwavering support throughout this challenging ordeal,'' said Warren.

Both law firms Warren expects to sue released statements on Wednesday afternoon. Preti Flaherty managing partner Jonathan Piper said the firm would not be ''publicizing the numerous defenses to the allegations'' leveled by Lilley while Lee Bals of Marcus, Clegg & Mistretta said the firm ''did nothing wrong or inappropriate'' during its time defending Warren.

Although Ace Hardware did not respond to a message left by The Independent on Thursday morning, the hardware giant had told other media outfits that it plans to defend itself in court if need be.

 
       

Top | Home | Advertising | Demographics | Careers | Privacy Policy | Contact
Back | Next

Copyright © Independent Publishing - All Rights Reserved
Web Site by
Paul Baumann Web Design Studio